Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Warm winter ATVing

I love assignments that get me out and about. Recently, when speaking with my editor, it occurred to me that everything I've shot in the past month and a half has been indoors. My assignment to document a popular ATVing spot in relation to Utah's unusually warm winter was just the ticket to get me out and about. Now that it's said and done and the picture has been made, I am sure glad I didn't manage to destroy the remote camera (consisting of a Canon 1D Mark IIn, 17-40L, two PocketWizards and a Magic Arm) that was mounted to the front of an ATV for the second image. I still have my job. Enjoy!















Colton Saunders, center, pulls into his family's campsite after joyriding his ATV while his mother, Holly Whitehead, right, chats with friends and family members Saturday, Feb. 18, 2012, at Fivemile Pass, Utah. Miles of open terrain is available for safe, free range riding.














Cody Johnson, 19, and his family, not pictured, took advantage of the unseasonably warm winter weather to joyride their ATVs, dirt bikes and sand buggies Saturday, Feb. 18, 2012, at Fivemile Pass, Utah. Miles of open terrain is available for safe, free range riding. The sunnier-than-usual season allowed Johnson more freedom to ride. "It's a lot better without all the snow in the way," Johnson said, "and much more fun when it's warm."














Sandy resident, Kevin Zamora, center, packs his collection of all-terrain vehicles into his trailer after a long day of riding Saturday, Feb. 18, 2012, at Fivemile Pass, Utah. Originally from California, Zamora also professionally races motorcycles. All-terrain riding remains as simply a hobby.














Tracks stand out against the dry, cracked earth Saturday, Feb. 18, 2012, at Fivemile Pass, Utah. Miles of open terrain is available for safe, free range riding.